The Man Approved Diet has a new home!!! You can find all my
recipes and other helpful kitchen how to's at
www.manapproveddiet.com

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Easy Hummus

A friend of mine introduced me to hummus a few years ago and I loved it.  The store bought stuff is good, but it's easy to make your own and you can flavor it however you would like.  Besides, regular hummus has about 70 calories for two tablespoons.  A serving of this stuff is almost four tablespoons and only 53 calories per serving.  You can expand upon this recipe if you feel like experimenting, try blending in some red bell pepper, more chili powder or a little lemon juice, maybe even all three.  You can serve this with crackers, chips, or veggies.  I like it on a Mediterranean style pizza (more on that in a later post).

Ingredients


    1 16 oz can of reduced sodium garbanzo beans, undrained
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

Without draining it, pour the can of beans into a food processor. Sprinkle the onion, garlic and chili powder on top. Blend until smooth. Taste and depending on your preference, add the salt and blend again.
 
Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 8
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 53.1
  • Total Fat: 0.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 176.7 mg
  • Total Carbs: 10.3 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
  • Protein: 2.9 g

5 comments:

  1. I love hummus but have never made it, I really need to do this! Found you on the mingle and now following, would love a return follow :).

    http://cumminslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to make this homemade-looking forward to trying this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gonna have to try this bet my little ones would love it

    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made homemade hummus ... Ireally should try it! Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends. I'm looking forward to seeing what you share this week! :)

    ReplyDelete